“CoronaHysteria-pushers to help destabilize the system”
None of this is an accurate description of my position on the coronavirus. The actual accelerationists here are the crowd who are fine with thousands of expendable people dying from coronavirus.
It has been obvious since the beginning of the outbreak in China that the new coronavirus is a highly contagious and moderately lethal virus. Unlike the original SARS virus, H1N1 or Ebola, it has the potential to infect and kill millions of people. This virus is a serious problem due to asymptomatic carriers.
I’ve maintained this blog for over a decade now. I didn’t think Ebola or Zika were a big deal. I barely paid any attention to either of those viruses. I don’t even recall writing anything about swine flu. It simply isn’t true that we are “panicking” or being “hysterical.” The virus minimizers have set up a straw man: either the coronavirus is a doomsday virus, which it obviously isn’t, OR, it is nothing to be concerned about. 18,331 Americans have died from this virus since the beginning of March which is far more people than who died in 9/11, the Iraq War, the Afghanistan War and Hurricane Katrina combined.
Here is my response to each of these points:
(1) The supreme importance of Truth. The truth is that the coronavirus has killed more Americans in three weeks during a 42 state lockdown than swine flu killed in a year. No, this virus is nothing like the flu which is a seasonal virus, which fades every year in the spring:
The flu has never killed 1,900 people a day with the overwhelming majority of deaths occurring in just four states. Full stop.
The flu doesn’t skyrocket in late March and April.
The flu is not the leading cause of death in the United States.
There are 52 weeks in a year. It only took 3 weeks for the coronavirus to kill more Americans than swine flu. It has 49 more weeks to go.
The flu has a 0.1% case fatality rate. The coronavirus has around a 10% case fatality rate in most of Western Europe. It currently has a 3.6% case fatality rate in the United States. The number continues to increase.
We have vaccines for the flu. Much of the population is also immune to the flu.
The coronavirus isn’t the flu which is an influenza. It is a novel coronavirus from a bat. The disease the virus creates is SARS.
This is a highly infectious and moderately lethal virus, but how many people get infected and die from it is TOTALLY UP TO US. If people change their behavior in response to the threat, they can save lives. In January and February, the American media dismissed the virus as “just the flu” and said the real threat was “racism” and “xenophobia.” They only changed their tune after the outbreak in Italy.
As for the Dissident Right, it seems that some people have adopted the irrational position of always taking the exact opposite position of anything the media says, which is just as dumb as believing the sun is brightly shining outside because the news says that it is raining. Many are even saying it is all a HOAX. Every country in the world including mortal enemies are part of a global conspiracy which stretches all the way down to every hospital and county coroner in the United States. Finally, when the Dissident Right can’t even tell the difference SARS and the flu or a coronavirus and influenza, it is time to walk away.
(2) What is the ‘purpose’ of the the Dissident Right? Is it just an amoral ‘faction’. Presumably, it is not to explain away the incompetence of our ruling class, particularly of the mainstream Right, with retarded conspiracy theories. At least that is what I thought until recently. I’m not engaged in polemics, propaganda, and agitation. It isn’t propaganda to say that New York alone has more cases of coronavirus than all of East Asia because conservatives decided to “ride it out” and do nothing in February.
(3) Protect the nation from harm. I agree which is why I would like to know why no one has died from the virus in Mongolia or Vietnam. Why have our incompetent elites imported a deadly virus and crashed the economy? Why couldn’t they be bothered to take the virus as seriously as Taiwan or Hong Kong or South Korea or Vietnam? Why don’t we have the capacity to manufacture our own pharmaceuticals and medical equipment? Whose fault is that? It certainly isn’t my fault. I wasn’t the one who provided Donald Trump with the intelligence in February that the virus was “just the flu” and to “ride it out.”
(4) What is true leadership? Whence comes moral authority/credibility? Why don’t we look then at the nations like Taiwan, Vietnam and South Korea where thousands of people haven’t died from the virus? The liberal West and the United States above every country in the world illustrates how not to respond to the virus. It isn’t the virus that it is killing people so much as it is liberalism.
(5) The “Corona Soft Coup d’Etat” was/is led by a collection of interests within the Left- and Media-Complex. No, the virus started at the wet market in China and is merely the latest highest infectious respiratory virus to come out of that country. This virus is SARS 2. It is also a global pandemic and America is only one country that is dealing with the virus. Clearly, we have the most incompetent elite anywhere on the planet.
(6) Therefore, for the Dissident Right to join the pro-CoronaPanic rah-rah-ing, demanding for More Shutdowns and so on, would be for it to totally neutralize itself, abandoning the commitment to Truth (see point 1), giving in to crass factionalism (see point 2), failing in the implied the commitment to protect the nation including via rational thinking about tradeoffs (see point 3), forfeiting a claim to true leadership and losing credibility in the long-run (see points 4 and 5). This Dissident Right neutralized itself by being indistinguishable from conservatism and libertarianism and buying into their absurd conspiracy theories which are nothing more than ass covering for Donald Trump.
Note: Even if 2.2 million people died from coronavirus, it wouldn’t be the end of the world. Life would go on. The Roaring Twenties followed the Spanish Flu. How many Americans are our incompetent elites willing to write off and leave for dead though?