Biden just dropped student debt cancellation down to zero. That’s right, the Biden administration has decided to cancel $0 in student debt.— Gravel Institute (@GravelInstitute) May 24, 2021
It is worth taking stock of where we are at five months into the Biden administration:
- With the stroke of a pen, Joe Biden ended the Remain in Mexico policy and revoked Trump’s executive orders, which blew up the border
- With the stroke of a pen, Joe Biden ended work on the Keystone Pipeline
- With the stroke of a pen, Joe Biden protected “trans women” in women’s sports
- With the stroke of a pen, Joe Biden put an end to Trump’s Garden of American Heroes, which would have built statues of people like Kobe Bryant, Crispus Attucks, Whitney Houston and the Notorious RBG. It is no real loss to us, but it is still worth noting that he did that.
- With the stroke of a pen, Joe Biden rescinded a Trump proclamation that blocked immigrants deemed to be a financial burden on our health care system. Again, it is worth noting that he picked up the pen to protect the access of illegal aliens to our health care system.
- Joe Biden has Merrick Garland undermining the Minneapolis Police Department in the middle of a massive crime wave
What happened to our friends the Bernie Bros?
Did Joe Biden pick up the pen on his desk to forgive their student loan debt? This is one of the key issues where I agree with Jimmy Dore and Secular Talk and the Pop Left and some members of my own family who supported Bernie Sanders. I thought that he could at least pick up the pen on his desk to do that for all the Millennials who voted for him who were drowning in student loan debt.
Regardless of how you might feel about the issue, it is clear that forgiving the student loan debt is a far more popular issue with Joe Biden’s base of Millennial voters than, say, raising the refugee cap or “trans” issues or ending the Keystone Pipeline or above all else blowing up the border and undermining the police where there is far more intense opposition. Getting rid of the debt burden would have a far greater impact on their lives and deradicalize them. Even if you disagree, you can understand their position. It is much easier to understand why a gig worker drowning in student loan debt becomes a socialist than the mindset of someone who thinks that they can change their gender like trying on a pair of pants.
This is one of the reasons why having Joe Biden as president was an experiment which may have been worth trying. He is letting progressive activists get away with all of the unpopular and insane culture war stuff and holding the line on economic issues like, say, the $15 minimum wage, reversing himself on the public option in health care and doing jack shit on student loan debt.
If Joe Biden genuinely wanted to end the student loan debt burden, he could do it right now. He could also choose not to sell $735 million in precision guided weapons to Israel to commit war crimes in Gaza. Anyway, the Bernie Bros knew he was just another fraudulent corporate neolib when they voted for him.
Note: If Joe Biden is the new FDR, why isn’t he doing this? Why are Democrats passing on an opportunity to use budget reconciliation and kicking the can down the road on infrastructure past October?