I’m guessing this is the reasoning:
1. Manchin and Sinema have voted for all of Joe Biden’s other judicial appointments.
2. Joe Biden has the votes for his nominee.
3. Democrats are itching for a fight to change the narrative and reignite their base.
4. Biden’s abysmal approval rating with black voters dooms Democrats in the midterms.
5. Lindsey is still mad about the way Brett Kavanaugh was treated.
6. Michelle Childs will be the nominee because Joe Biden owes his presidency to Jim Clyburn and because Tim Scott will vote for her confirmation.
So, the line will be … Michelle Childs is fine with us as a nominee, but it is unfortunate that Joe Biden who is patronizing chose her solely because she is black and as a favor to Clyburn, not on the basis of her own merits as a candidate.
Note: I could be completely wrong about this. Just allowing the bloc vote to crumble might not be a cunning strategy.