This is the sweet spot for liberal imperialists:
- Starting yet another bloody, completely unnecessary proxy war in a far flung part of Eurasia to “weaken Russia”
- Using the proxy war with Russia as an excuse to suck wealth out of the American taxpayer and redistribute it in the Beltway
- Creating another humanitarian catastrophe which results in another predictable refugee crisis
- Using the crisis to justify vast increases in military spending, surveillance and censorship of “disinformation”
- Blaming all of our preexisting problems like inflation and high energy prices on Putin
- Unleashing a whole train of unanticipated consequences which will ricochet like a stone thrown into a pond for decades
- Making life for the American working class and middle class more expensive and dangerous
- Neglecting all of our massive domestic problems like illegal immigration and violent crime
- A government which can’t do anything for Americans nevertheless shovels billions of dollars in weapons out the door to Ukraine
- Leaving Americans on the hook for World War III if this plan to “weaken Russia” through the proxy war in Ukraine blows up in our face
They are “in the zone” when they are doing things which are completely and utterly detached from the interests of the vast majority of people who live in this country.
“WASHINGTON — President Joe Biden has asked Congress for $33 billion to fund both humanitarian and military aid to Ukraine through September of this year, he said Thursday.
The massive aid package is accompanied by a proposal to Congress that it amend several longstanding criminal laws to make it easier for the U.S. to sell off the seized assets of sanctioned Russian oligarchs.
The $33 billion includes a request for $20.4 billion in additional security and military assistance for Ukraine, as well as additional money to fund U.S. efforts to bolster European security in cooperation with NATO allies.
“It’s not cheap. But caving to aggression is going to be more costly if we allow it to happen,” Biden said Thursday. …”
We are always told things like we can “walk and chew bubble gun at the same time” to rationalize these decisions. We don’t have to choose between an imperialist foreign policy and domestic priorities. It is a “false dichotomy.” We can defend our own border and Ukraine’s border.
Note: In reality, we end up defending only Ukraine’s borders, which is the real border which is the border of the American Empire. In contrast, our own official border becomes less and less meaningful.