If you were wondering what happened to the site, it went down because I forgot to pay the bill and it was offline for two days because I am sick of paying so much per month for our current hosting plan. We’re either going to switch to a different plan or move over to Substack.
I’m currently on the fence about moving to Substack:
- I’m kind of tired of WordPress which I have been using for the last 14 years to maintain this website. I’m open to moving to Substack because it would be a new challenge.
- I don’t want to lose our huge archive even though it takes up so much space. There are few sites that are still around which span the entire 2010s and bridge the 2000s and 2020s.
- I didn’t jump over to Substack because of censorship and deplatforming concerns, but after two years I am less worried about progressive activists destroying the site.
- Pretty much everyone is using Substack these days. It is the platform of the 2020s. WordPress was the platform of the 2000s. It feels ancient like vBulletin forums.
- Lots of people hate change though.
- Even if I did move over to Substack, I wouldn’t paywall content because I find it so annoying on other sites that I read. I’m just interested in trying out a new platform.
At the moment, I have decided to renew the site for another month while I mull this over and make up my mind about what I want to do. I will probably end up keeping the WordPress here on a smaller plan while I explore Substack to see if that is where I want to go in the future.